Monday, April 4, 2011

Ethnography Results Week 8:

For my final week I decided to join my roomates and sit in on another session of the game.

It was a continuation of the game we had the week before and I played the same pre-generated character as before as well.

This time I really tried to use the things I had learned most importantly I tried to get as involved as I could and really pay attention to what everyone was saying as well as try to play as if I was unaware of the meta-conversations that my character would not have been a part of.

I tried role playing with everyone (which is not my strong point) and I tried to honestly think in terms of actions and dialouge that would make sense to my character.

The session didn't last long but I was able to get some things noted that I really felt were important to being in this kind of community.

1. Treat other people like people, while you are playing a game you only get the tru experince if you have fun with the game. I tried to treat everyone like we were playing a game and I took them very seriouesly and every move they made I considered in the context of the game this helped to enrich the experince not only for me but for everyone

2. Listen to the DM - for the most part this person is running the game and wants to make it fun for all, but you need to know him/her and have a relationship. Thils will make the game more fun for everyone.

3. Be willing to talk to others- othe players will help you with your gameplay and if you have questions they are usually more than happy to help you out and make sure you do what you want to do, you can do just about anything and if you have questions ask.

4. Make sure that you participate in other conversations if you only pay attention to the game, then you wolnt have as much fun, be ready to joke around as well. Again these are some of the nicest people you will meet and they love to keep everything compfortable for everyone so participate, its important.


5. Dont take things too seriously- some DnD systems are designed to make it challengeing but this will not stop you from getting a good story as well, be ready to accept challenge and go with the flow.

6. Bring your own dice- the game is essentially about rolling dice so if you plan to play a lot invest $10 and get some, if its your first time usually experienced players have extras.


I know this isn't exactly an ethnographic style but it is some of the things I will talk about in our final paper, and it is a basic breakdown of the new world we entered and some of the central cores to the culture surrounding it.

No comments:

Post a Comment